This time of year is my absolutely favorite for a multitude of reasons, mostly because it's baking season! There are quite a few sweet treats that we crave. I decided to mix it up a little this year and take one of our favorite treats, Rice Krispies, and use them in a couple different ways.
We've all made and love Rice Krispies Treats, but I wanted to combine them with brownies to make a cool layered Rice Krispies Treat Brownie with drizzled chocolate on top. And for the fudge lovers out there, I made a delicious Double Cocoa Fudge with Cocoa Krispies!
Here's how I made them!
Rice Krispies Brownies with Chocolate Drizzle
4 ounces of chocolate (any kind will do)
1/2 cup of butter
1 teaspoon of vanilla
2 cups of sugar
1 1/4 cup of flour
1 bag of small marshmallows
1/4 cup of butter
6 cups of Rice Krispies
1/4 cup of chocolate (any kind will do)
2 tablespoons of unsalted butter
1. Heat oven to 350°F.
2. Melt the chocolate and butter. Stir until smooth
3. Add the sugar, eggs, and vanilla. Stir until combined.
4. Add the flour. Stir until combined. Pour batter into a 9x13 pan.
5. Bake for 30 minutes or until knife comes out clean when inserted into the middle of the brownies.
So, here's the secret to easily combining the brownies and rice krispies. It is so easy to spread the Rice Krispies Treats over the top of the brownies when the brownies are still warm. So, when there are about 5 minutes left for the brownies to bake, I start making the Rice Krispies Treats. I just use the original recipe from their website.
6. When your Rice Krispies Treats are done, quickly pour the mixture from the pot to the brownie pan.
7. Quickly spread the Rice Krispies Treats over the brownies when a butter spatula. Now it's time to make the chocolate drizzle!
8. Combine the chocolate and butter in a microwave safe measuring cup.
9. Microwave for one minute. Stir until smooth. If the chocolate has cooled too much to drizzle, pop it back in the microwave for one minute.
10. Quickly drizzle the chocolate over the top of the Rice Krispies Brownies.
11. Let everything set over night so you can cut smooth squares.
(please don't mind the already-opened box. My kids got a little excited!)
I've also put a twist on my chocolate fudge recipe. My fudge recipe calls for chopped nuts. However, when I bring food to party, I try to be aware of any possible food allergies. I would leave nuts out of the recipe just in case someone's allergic, but I would really miss the crunchy texture that the nuts give the fudge. I've add Cocoa Krispies to keep the texture and add some more chocolate goodness!
Double Cocoa Fudge
3 cups of chocolate (any kind will do)
1/4 cup of butter
1 can of sweetened condensed milk
2 cups of Cocoa Krispies
1. Combine the chocolate, butter, and sweetened condensed milk in a microwave safe bowl.
2. Microwave for 2 minutes. Stir. Microwave for another 2 minutes. Stir until smooth.
3. Add the Cocoa Krispies. Stir until combined.
4. Pour fudge into a well-greased 8x8 pan. If you like a thinner fudge, you can use a 9x13 pan.
5. Let it sit over night and then cut into squares.
One of the best parts about these recipes (I mean, besides combining two yummy things, chocolate and Rice Krispies), is that I can pick up all the ingredients on one of my (many) Target runs!
For more Kellogg inspiration, hop on over here (or watch the video below).
There is also something really cool that Rice Krispies is doing this holiday season. For every treat you make and share on social media with the hashtag #Treats4Toys, Kellogg will donate a toy to a child in need!
Follow Rice Krispies